Warm up during the cold months by making a batch of this Instant Pot Hot Chocolate. Skip the packets and go for a quick, decadent, and satisfying cup of this chocolatey goodness. Whole milk, chocolate chips, and vanilla come together to make the perfect cup of cocoa.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy about affiliate links.
The colder months are not my favorite for many reasons. Mainly because it’s harder to enjoy the outdoors and Disney World, but ya know, oh well. The few things that redeem the winter months are getting snow days, playing in the snow with family (if we get any), and recipes like this Instant Pot Hot Chocolate. There’s nothing like the feeling of being warmed up by a big sip of this delectable drink.
I love it so much, I actually made Hot Cocoa Cookies, which are similar in nature to my Hazelnut Honey Cookies. They’re both delicious cookies to eat along with a cup of this hot cocoa! I love dropping a giant marshmallow and some chocolate syrup into mine. Mm mm mm, it makes me want a cup right now, just talking about it!
How to Make Hot Chocolate from Scratch?
Whisk - Place all the ingredients except the toppings, in the Instant Pot and whisk well.
Cook - Place on high pressure and cook for 2 minutes, naturally release for 5 minutes, then manually release the rest of the pressure.
Cool and serve - Let the mixture cool for a couple of minutes before pouring into glasses. Top with your favorite toppings, serve, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Storage - Store in a sealed container or pitcher, in the fridge for up to 5 days. I don’t suggest freezing it due to the milk content. It changes the flavor and texture, in my opinion.
- Reheating - Heat in the microwave, over the stove, or even in your instant pot.
- Add spices - If preferred, you can always add a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc. to give it a bit more of a spicy. Holiday flavor.
- Topping options - You can top your instant pot hot chocolate with countless ingredients. You can make some Homemade Whipped Cream, top it with mini marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, etc.
- Add heavy cream - If you want to make your hot chocolate recipe a bit thicker, you can remove a cup of milk and replace it with heavy cream. This will make it a bit thicker and creamier.
- Make it sweeter - If you like an extra sweet hot chocolate, increase the sugar to half a cup. I made it with half a cup at first but reduced it to ⅓ cup as it was far too sweet for me.
- Why isn’t it darker in color? - There are added dyes in store-bought hot chocolate. This hot chocolate recipe doesn’t have any added stuff to it. It’s very rich with chocolate flavor, but since it’s naturally colored, it’s not as dark as you might be used to.
Common Questions About Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
What is the Difference Between Hot Chocolate and Cocoa?
Hot chocolate and hot cocoa have pretty much been made interchangeable terms. However, there’s a way to make hot chocolate that actually involves melting chocolate with milk. Hot cocoa uses cocoa powder and milk. It ultimately results in the same drink, just by two different routes. It’s basically using chocolate in different forms to create the drink. However, no one uses the two terms exclusively for one or the other. They’re used for any way the beverage is made.
Does Drinking Hot Chocolate Make You Sleepy?
There’s nothing in hot chocolate, specifically, that would make you sleepy. However, the warmth of a delicious beverage on a cold night has a calming effect. When your body gets warmed up, both inside and out, your body can relax. When your body is chilly, it tenses and it attempts to cause movement to warm you up. It makes it hard to be relaxed and comfortable when this occurs. Drinking hot chocolate allows your body to warm up and release some of that tension, which in turn, makes you feel sleepy or in a state where sleep sounds nice.
Kick up your beverage game a notch with this Instant Pot Hot Chocolate, then let me know in the comments below if it was a win for you!
More Dessert Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Personal Sized Peach Cobbler
- Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- No Bake Oatmeal Cookies
- Butterscotch Haystacks
- Snowball Cookies
Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Combine all the ingredients except the marshmallows and chocolate syrup, in the instant pot insert. Whisk.
- Place on high for 2 minutes. Let naturally release for 5 minutes before manually releasing after that.
- Let cool a bit and pour into glasses.
- Top with marshmallows and chocolate syrup if desired and enjoy!